On the 18th of April 2017, the International University of Malaya-Wales hosted delegates of the esteemed Widyatama University of Indonesia at a Memorandum of Understanding Signing Ceremony. The ceremony was held at its green city campus in the heart of Kuala Lumpur from 9.15am to 12.00pm.
From Widyatama University the delegates who were welcomed on-campus were Mr. Djoko Roespinoedji and Sri Lestari Roespinoedji, founders of the Widyatama Foundation; Prof. Dr. H. Obsatar Sinaga from the Board of Directors of Widyatama University; Dr. Islahuzzaman, rector of the University; and Prof. Dr. Il. Ari Purbayanto from the Education and Culture Attache of the Indonesian Embassy.
Also attending the ceremony were YBhg. Datin Paduka Ir. Dr. Siti Hamisah Binti Tapsir, Ketua Pengarah Pendidikan Tinggi and YBrs. Dr. Mohd. Nor Azman Bin Hassan, Timbalan Ketua Pengarah Pendidikan Tinggi IPTS. From Wannaser Group of Companies IUMW received Datuk Seri Mohd Naser Ismail and Dato Wan Ab Rashid Wan Abdullah and Dr. Diana Sulaiman from Axiata.
Representing the University of Malaya was Tan Sri Prof. Dr. Mohd Amin Jalaludin, Vice Chancellor and representing the University of Kuala Lumpur was Associate Prof. Dr. Ilham Sentosa. And on behalf of UM Holdings Sdn. Bhd. its Group CEO Mr. Azhar Harun attended as well.
Delegates from the International University of Malaya-Wales included Datuk Prof. Dr. Roziah Binti Omar, Vice Chancellor of IUMW; Mr. Stephen Lloyd Griffiths, Deputy Vice Chancellor of IUMW; Datuk Seri Panglima Mohd Annuar Bin Zaini, IUMW Chairman and the respective Heads of Departments and Deans of Faculties.
The ceremony began with the arrival of guests and VVIP’s followed by the Doa recital. The Chairman for the Organising Committee of the MoU Signing Ceremony, Dr. Mohd. Haizam Mohd. Saudi gave a welcoming speech preceding an address by the Vice Chancellor of IUMW, Datuk Prof. Dr. Roziah Omar. The attendees were then treated to a presentation from IUMW before the signing ceremony that took place at 11.00am. The event was concluded with a photography session and a hearty lunch courtesy of IUMW.
The significance of the MoU Signing Ceremony lies in the fact that is marks the beginning of an academic collaboration between IUMW and Widyatama University. The main purposes of establishing the MoU are stated below:
1. To have an academic collaboration in terms of research, conference and publication in a reputable journal preferably indexed by ISI and SCOPUS.
2. To explore the opportunity of the students' internship in both countries
3. To provide the platform for the prospective Phd candidates from Widyatama University to pursue their studies at IUMW.
4. To venture a collaborative effort between IUMW and Widyatama University in preparing a dynamic academic team for the enhancement the quality of education in both higher learning institution.
5. To explore the opportunity of venturing in the industries related to entrepreneurship for the benefits of students in both universities. Academic exchanges of educators, researchers, undergraduates and graduates student for the purpose of education, long-term and short-term internship and professional practices in terms of manufacturing, pedagogical and educational.
7. The cooperation in the field of joint educational dual degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate level as well as the Phd prgrams would resulted in the opening of joint Phd programmes.
8. Platform as training ground for the academician from both universities to cooperate with independent international organization to enhance the academic quality as well as improving the academic ratings of the universities.
9. Invitation of both parties to provide lectures, exchange of experience and information in the educational and methodological works.
It is the hope of all entities involved that this event has paved the way for a fruitful venture that will benefit all parties. As Allan David Bloom once said, “Education is the movement from darkness to light.” And with that, IUMW aims to be the torchbearer bringing light to the word of education through broadened horizons, integrity and a dedication to improvement.