Degree in Biotechnology
The Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biotechnology (Degree in Biotechnology) is specifically designed to develop its students with a strong foundation of knowledge and practical skills that are sought after in the changing world of biotechnology.
Students will acquire a sound principle of science, gain basic knowledge in applied aspect of biotechnology and enhance their communication and interpersonal skills which are valuable and compelling to employers.
This programme provides an understanding and practical skills behind the use of biologically derived materials for a multitude of applications. Such materials include microorganisms (e.g. bacteria, yeast, algae) and materials derived from them and other biological sources (e.g. enzymes, protein, DNA). These applications focus on three core areas, namely agriculture productions, industrial manufacturing, and human health.
Industrial Training and Undergraduate Project which link students directly to the industry and leading-edge research are some of the added features of this programme, giving it a practical hands-on approach.
The objectives of the programme are to produce graduates who:
- have a comprehensive understanding of Biotechnology and their applications;
- are competent in wide-ranging practical skills;
- are competent in communication and interpersonal skills;
- possess analytical skills and problem-solving abilities;
- are aware of current issues and technological advancement in Biotechnology taking into account of commercial, ethical, social and legal issues.
Programme Learning Outcomes
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental and applied concepts in biotechnology;
- Conduct basic guided research projects with effective time management and efficient resource usage;
- Communicate clearly, effectively and confidently in both formal oral presentations and in written format whilst showing responsible and productive interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrate an understanding and awareness of ethical and social issues in practising biotechnology;
- Demonstrate the ability to seek, adapt, and provide solutions to address challenges and concerns in Biotechnology;
- Analyse, synthesis, and integrate knowledge and experimental data in practicing biotechnology;
- Operate and maintain basic Biotechnology equipment;
- Recognising and apply the concept of lifelong learning in practicing biotechnology including appreciating the need for self-evaluation and improvement to meet industrial and societal demands.
- Scientific Officer
- Research Assistant
- Research Technologist
- Laboratory Biotechnologist
- Manufacturing Biotechnologist
- Medical Technologist
- Plant Breeder
- Patent Officer
- Product Specialist
- Application Specialist
Malaysian Agencies and Organisations
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
We are excited that you are applying to the International University of Malaya-Wales. Throughout the application process, please read all instructions carefully. You will need to prepare the following documents for your application:
- Verified copies of your academic qualifications
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- A copy of your MyKad or the identification page of your passport
Choose your category:
Malaysian Student International Student